Went swimming today for the first time in 11 years. It was interesting, to say the least. That water is very deceptive...I got in there and thought "hey, I can swim, no problem!" Well, problem. I sank like a rock, and you'd think being 300lbs I'd float because I'm not the skinniest berry in the bushel but I guess my muscle mass simply counteracted the fat. So swimming was an adventure.
The damn silicon swim cap was so tight I felt like I was swimming with a midget on my back, squeezing hard around my temples. About 300 yards in that bad boy had to go. The goggles had a vacuum lock around my eyeballs that would make Mr. Dyson proud, and my shorts weren't tied properly so they were constantly falling down, but hey, I didn't drown! I made it 500 yards in 24 minutes, which is HORRIBLE time-wise, but for a first trek out it could have been a lot worse. I need to work on my technique and cardiovascular fitness (shocker there) as I was only able to go 50 yards without stopping. Attempting to backstroke nearly killed me - that water saw its chance and it went for it, right up my nose and down my throat.
I've also determined that my freestyle is simply a rolling sidestroke...or maybe more like a kayaking type stroke. My power stroke switches depending upon my mood at the time, and my head rolls allllll the way around 360 degrees, into the water breathing out through my nose, out of the water taking a deep breath, and repeat. It's strange but not painful in the least, although the water in my ears tells me perhaps plugs are in order.
I'm tired. I didn't think 24 minutes of swimming would tire me like this, but I'm tired. Very, very tired. I was supposed to bike tonight but moved it to tomorrow because...you guessed it...I'm tired. And I have to be up at 0430 to get to work on time, so that means off to bed for me! Be well, all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment