I'm official a Team in Training member, scheduled to compete in The Nation's Triathlon in DC on September 12th. It's an Olympic distance triathlon, and it'll be my first, so my work is cut out for me (I've always hated that term.)
I initially figured I'd follow the BeginnerTriathlete.com 16-week 3x training program, then realized that I know me better than they do. So I'm 86ing one of the running blocks per week and incorporating some P90X into it - Plyometrics, X-Stretch, Chest/Back, and Arms/Shoulders. This way I work on strength training, explosiveness, flexibility, and save my knees a bit from the pounding.
The Y around the corner doesn't open until early June so I need to find somewhere to swim until then. I'm thinking I'll swim at 0530 because it'll be less crowded and a terrific way to start my day. Now that my one job has no hours for me and I'm at 3 days with the other, I have more time to concentrate on training, which is bittersweet...I really need the money. The bike I'm looking at is $599 (Scattante R-330 from Performance Bikes) and that's before all the accessories (better saddle, higher quality rims, pump, spare tires/tubes, etc...). I guess I picked the right hobby, because I'm a "stuff" guy, and triathlon is definitely a "stuff" sport!
This week has been interesting. Biking at the gym is awkward and leaves my legs feeling strange. I've also noticed that I wobble when I bike. By that I mean that on the right leg downstroke I lean left, and vice versa. I know from a physics standpoint this is wasted energy but I just can't seem to get my leg around correctly without the wobble. To that end, I remember doing this when I biked as a kid. I'm not sure if it's an acquired behavioral trait or a physiological adaptation.
Anyway, have to run! Literally and figuratively - visit me at http://pages.teamintraining.org/md/nattri10/rrobertwku if you would like to donate - every little bit helps! Thanks, and be well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment