It's early right now, and I really would much rather be curled up in bed, but I have to leave for work. OK, so I'm procrastinating by writing a blog entry. THEN I'll go to work.
At least the morning means I get to have my oatmeal for breakfast. It's a small treat, but a treat nonetheless. My knees are sore, a result of biking two day straight. 48 minutes Monday, 53 minutes Tuesday. I love how beginnertriathlete.com is religious about increasing time by 10% without rounding up or down, regardless over how funky the number is. I have a minor OCD thing where I really want numbers to be divisible by 3. 48 worked...53 did not.
The job front is look less bleak than before - granted, the positions I'm being offered are merely the same as the ones I have, only with better pay, full benefits, and a longer commute. I guess the better pay would help assuage my disdain for the longer commute (all the way to downtown DC!) and when I want a new toy (like a Garmin Forerunner) I will be able to afford it!
To that end, I've decided that the Y at 1800 is basically a teenage zoo with some soccer moms interspersed. I was shocked to find an open bike, and a little less shocked that the damn thing was glitchy. It's one of those Expresso bikes that has the screen in front, you can choose different tracks and trails and a pacer. Neat in theory, but the execution was horrible. I couldn't run people over, the pacer was taunting me, and the handlebars, when straight, veered to the left not-so-subtly. About 8 minutes in and I had had enough of that, switched it over to manual, and the thing didn't even have the common decency to have the TV hooked up! Good thing I had my music...and it definitely saved me. I've come to realize that as much as I dig swimming, I hate cycling. OK, I hate indoor cycling. I'll give outdoor a fair shake once I get my road bike.
I skipped all the running in the first week of the program - with how my knees felt after biking and swimming, I knew running would be pure destruction. I'm going to ease into it - if that means extra swimming and biking, so be it, but I'm not tearing my Achilles completely this time around. That mother hurts.
The bottom line is that I need to drop a lot of weight in order for this to work long term. I'm going to injure myself if I stay around 300 and train like I've been training. I don't have a team of medical staff at my beck and call, I don't have hydrotherapy tubs or masseuses ready to ease my muscles and joints at a moment's notice. I need to get down to a healthier weight, and fast, and keep it off, if I want to train seriously. I'm glad I'm an athletic dude, because it's helped me thus far. I can't wait to see the gains I'll make when I'm svelter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment