Saturday, May 15, 2010

A tired man I am I am

Despite having a 16 hour work day Friday, I was able to sneak in TWO workouts! I biked 13.33 miles in 45 minutes (hit the wall AGAIN at 41 minutes, what's up that THAT?!?) and swam a personal best 1300 yards in 52 minutes (700 yards non-stop in 20 minutes). Actually, the only thing that stopped me was the lifeguard going ape about the fact that it was 15 minutes to close and her wanting to "peace out". I was in a groove - not the groove that some people get into where their mind wanders and they go through time unaware that they're even swimming/biking/running/driving (guilty of that last one there), but an extremely mechanical groove of pick an apple, put it in your pocket. Pick an apple, put it in your pocket. Take a breath. Oh look, a wall fast approaching! Touch, turn, pick an apple...

I felt AWESOME getting changed and driving home...but the 25 minute drive was enough to stiffen my legs, and I waddled from the car to the house, plopped down on my chair, and watched The Office, trying to ignore what could only be described as nuclear war going on in my quads and knees. I think it has something to do with how I kick when I swim. My legs sink. They're short, stubby, and muscle-laden, creating an anchor determined to keep me from moving forward. It's a constant battle to keep them moving, and I'm often swimming with my body at an obtuse angle, nowhere near 180 degrees. I am a tug boat in a world of Chris Crafts. The wake I leave is humorous though. It makes me smile :-) Plus I keep chugging along, much to the amazement of the lifeguards, who must be devising plans of action in the event I croak in the middle of the pool. I'm sure it involves drawing straws to see who has the unenviable task of jumping in and dragging me to safety.

Biking, however, was a different story altogether. Oh, to backtrack. Apparently the $599 deal on the Scattante R-330 was SO good that everybody and their brother decided to buy 6 at a time and Performance Bike Global is sold out, so they're offering the '10 Fuji Newest 2.0 at the $599 price as a replacement. After test riding the Newest 1.0 (they didn't have a 2.0 in stock) in steel-toed work boots because I'm a derrrrr, I threw some money down and they ordered me a bike. I'm pretty stoked.

With that in mind - I went to Snap and rode the Cybex because I NEED to ride. I forgot my lovely padded bike shorts at home so my nethers were in revolt, and I may as well have been sitting on nails because my butt REALLY hurt on that seat (I went to a different Snap, Millersville instead of Joppa, because it was closer to work). I was in a pretty good rhythm thanks to Five Finger Death Punch when, at 41 minutes, the white flag was waved. I cooled down and called it a workout. I really need to figure out how to get through that energy wall!

Oh - Snap membership runs out end of May, and then it's exclusively the Y! There's one in Ellicott City that has a rock climbing wall, and a sauna, and midgets to massage you while you watch baseball. I'm sure I'm too hoi polloi to be allowed into such an exclusive Y.

On that note, I have a big day of relaxing and at SOME point I need to bribe my legs into going to the gym to ride for 80 minutes. I may have to drop the cadence and resistance down, because I'm getting my damned 80 minutes! At least I'll be alone as I grunt, grimace and growl my way on that bike...Snap is always empty Saturday nights. Maybe I'll go shoot some pool too...

No comments:

Post a Comment